Following is a statement from the UK Independence Party about Elizabeth Jones
Elizabeth Jones lives locally and works as a solicitor. She will bring her experience of family matters, noise control, small businesses and parking campaigns to the ward.
Lambeth Council needs a shake-up. As councillor for Brixton Hill, Elizabeth will speak out for the residents and businesses in the area.
For too long, Labour has taken people for granted. Time to cap top pay + perks. UKIP brings a new modern approach to politics – just what Brixton Hill needs.
Elizabeth Jones, UKIP – UK Independence Party
14 key points
- Lived and worked as solicitor in area for 5 years.
- Take interest in theatre, opera and arts.
- Stood for UKIP: 2010 General + 2012 London elections.
- Support monarchy.
- Freedom too much restricted by Brussels – EU make 70% of laws.
- Local businesses and jobs are key priority. Councils should control business rates; lower them to attract new enterprise.
- Parking key to local economy. Have experience campaigning to lower parking charges; will promote free shopping days + hospital parking.
- Believe local people should vote on local planning + transport issues.
- Road humps go unless majority in road want to keep them.
- Oppose any change in general 30mph limit.
- Noise nuisance and potholes would be priorities – council must act on complaints.
- Support open space, parks, want more trees.
- Need more police on the street.
- Lambeth Council overpays senior staff – should cut costs + council advertising. Will save taxpayer money by opting out of councillor pension scheme.