Detectives investigating a possible link between eight sexual assaults in south London have arrested a 34-year-old man from Lambeth.
He was arrested on Thursday, 29 October and remains in custody at a south London police station.
The police are continuimg to appeal for witnesses and information after the assaults in the Clapham and Brixton Hill area.
Superintendent Rob Applegarth of Lambeth borough said: “We are aware of eight assaults which we are linking at this early stage. We have increased police patrols in Clapham and Brixton Hill and urge women to think of their personal safety.
Following previous appeals officers are aware of an initial incident on Friday, 9 October at 23:30hrs.
A 23-year-old woman (victim 1) was grabbed and sexually assaulted along Clitheroe Road, Clapham. She managed to raise the alarm and the suspect ran off.
The second incident was reported in the early hours of Saturday, 10 October at 01:15hrs.
A 30-year-old woman (victim 2) was walking along Deauville Court, close to Elms Crescent, when a man approached and tried to engage her in conversation. When she asked him to leave her alone he grabbed and assaulted her before walking away.
On Thursday, 22 October at 21:05hrs a woman was followed along Trent Road before a man placed his hand up her dress. The 32-year-old woman (victim 3) reported the incident to local officers.
Four days later on Monday, 26 October at 19:05hrs along Arodene Road, Clapham, a 35-year-old woman (victim 4) was grabbed from behind as she walked home.
Less than an hour later at 20:15hrs, CCTV footage was captured along nearby Roseberry Road, as a woman in her 20s (victim 5) attempted to enter her home address.
A man was seen approaching the 26-year-old woman from behind and assaulting her before she was able to raise the alarm. The CCTV has been released by officers along with a still image in an effort to identify the man as soon as possible.
Again on the same night, at 21:36hrs, a 28-year-old woman (victim 6) had just arrived home along Sandmere Road, Clapham, when she noticed a man standing on the opposite side of her street. He had pulled down his lower clothing to deliberately expose himself. The woman managed to get into her house and alert police.
On Wednesday, 28 October two further incidents were reported.
At 19:20hrs a 28-year-old woman (victim 7) had been approaching her home along Southwell Road when a man grabbed her. She screamed and he fled the scene.
Three hours later on the same night a 31-year-old woman (victim 8) had been heading home when she was pushed by a suspect into a nearby block of flats along Sudbourne Road. She was sexually assaulted before the suspect ran away.
In all eight cases the suspect is described as being of Mediterranean or middle-eastern appearance with dark hair.
The victims have all been white females aged in their 20s or early 30s.
Detective Sergeant Gordon Barclay, who is leading the investigation, said: “We have had a good response following previous appeals. We would still like to advise women to remain vigilant when travelling at night and would also ask that anybody who may have any information regarding these offences to make contact with police.”
Anyone who has any information or witnesses should to call the MPS on the police non-emergency line on 101. In the event of an emergency call 999.