New appeal on tenth anniversary of Billy Cox murder

Written by on February 14, 2017 in Crime, News - 1 Comment
Bill Cox's sister reads a statement from his mother (left) at the memorial created by local residents after he was shot

Bill Cox’s sister reads a statement from his mother (left) at the memorial created by local residents after he was shot

Ten years after the murder of local teenager Billy Cox, his mother and police are appealing for help in finding out who killed him.

Detectives are also offering a £20,000 reward for information leading to the prosecution of whoever was responsible for his death.

Billy, 15 at the time of his death, left Acre Lane in Brixton just after 2.30pm on 14 February, 2007 and went home to Fenwick Place in Clapham North.

His sister, then 13, got back home a short time later and, as she neared the door, she heard a bang. She found her wounded brother inside. He had been shot in the chest.

Despite the efforts of a paramedic, he was pronounced dead at the scene. There were no signs of forced entry and detectives believe it is possible that Billy knew his attacker.

Detective sergeant Jason Grafham said: “The murder of Billy Cox is an ongoing investigation for the Metropolitan Police Service. We remain hopeful that witnesses will come forward. As time passes people’s lifestyles and allegiances can change, and these people may want to help us get justice for Billy and his family.”

He said anyone wanting to contact the police team could call Crimestoppers where they could remain anonymous. “All calls will be treated in the utmost confidence and we urge you to pick up the phone, for the sake of Billy’s family.”

 

poster
Appeal by mother of Billy Cox
00:00
--
/
--

 

Billy’s mother Tim Cox, also known as Arporn Cox said: “First of all I would like to say Sawaddee to greet you in Thai. I would like to seek justice for an incident which happened 10 years ago. I was married to an Englishman and had two children, a boy and a girl.

“On 14 February 2007 at 10am, I said goodbye to my son before going to work. I was working in a Thai restaurant. I didn’t want to go but I had to.

“In the afternoon I telephoned him to see whether he was all right but he didn’t answer the phone. At some time after 3pm, my daughter telephoned and she was crying. I thought they had quarrelled with one another. She said ‘No’, and she wanted me to get home at once as Billy had been shot.

“I got home straight away. I saw all the police tapes around the road and by the house. My husband and the police came towards me. I shouted to my husband: ‘Please don’t tell me that my son is dead’. My husband said: ‘Yes darling. He is’.

“I fell to the ground. I cried and cried until I had no tears left and I wanted to die with him. I had to accept the truth that my son had left us.

“I have followed both English and Thai traditions to remember him with the help of my friends. I have followed a simple way of life. I go to the temple and pray for him. I have been living like this for the past 10 years.

“Every year we have a commemoration to remember him at the temple. I miss him so much. His life was taken away at such a young age. But I have to be strong because I still have my daughter to live for. My husband passed away five years ago with a broken heart.

“I would like to seek justice and I’m appealing for anyone who has any information about this case, no matter how small it is, to come forward and inform the police so that they can catch the person who shot him.

“I am sad to think that nobody is still interested in my son’s case. I even thought that the police had forgotten all about my son.

“Ten years have passed and I am still always praying to God or Buddha that one day they will find the killer who shot my son, so I can finally find some peace in my heart. I will cooperate with the police in helping them to find the killer.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8785 8267 or via 101 or @MetCC.

Information can also be reported to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.


In June 2007, police arrested five men at an address near Clapham High Street in connection with the murder. Four were arrested on suspicion of possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply and were later released without charge. A fifth man, then aged 20, was arrested on suspicion of the murder of Billy Cox. He was also released without charge in 2008.

About the Author

One Comment on "New appeal on tenth anniversary of Billy Cox murder"

  1. IAN CAMERON February 15, 2017 at 9:26 am ·

    Am very pleased to see this unforgettable terrible murder case re reported here. I hope that eventually those responsible for the crime are found and dealt with judicially. I was born at Clapham North myself although almost eighty years ago now and mostly the murders then were from German doodle bugs overhead. Anyway best wishes and for this reminder appeal.

Comments are now closed for this article.

%d bloggers like this: